You will need:
- 2 cups old fashioned rolled oats
- 1/2 cup walnuts, in small pieces and toasted
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups milk
- 1 large egg
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and cooled slightly
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 2 ripe bananas, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 2 cups blueberries, or mixed berries
- Vanilla yogurt (not plain which will be too sour tasting)
Preheat the oven to 375°F Generously butter the inside of an 8-inch square baking dish or small casserole (as shown in photo.)
In a bowl, mix together the oats, half the walnuts, the sugar, the baking powder, cinnamon, and salt.
In another bowl, whisk together the milk, egg, half of the butter, and the vanilla.
Arrange the bananas in a single layer in the bottom of the prepared baking dish. Sprinkle a little more than half of the berries over the top. Add the oat mixture. Gently add the milk mixture over the oats and be sure it soaks into the oat mixture. Add the remaining berries, butter and remaining walnuts across the top.
Bake for 35 to 45 minutes, until the top is nicely golden and the oat mixture has set. Remove from the oven and let cool for a few minutes.
Serve warm with a covering of vanilla yogurt and a few blueberries. This stores well in the refrigerator so you can have it warmed with yogurt and berries for a quick power breakfast!
Do you have a fave POWER breakfast? Tell all your iTwixie BFFs and earn a Foodie Achievement!
(Photo Credit: NatShots Photography)