You will need:
- 6 eggs
- 8 cups of water
- 1/2 cup black tea leaves
- 2 star anise (whole)
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
And here’s what you do:
- Put eggs in a small sauce pan, cover with 6 cups of water, put on pan lid. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Leave lid in place and let stand 10 minutes.
- In an empty sauce pan put 2 cups of water, 1/2 cup of black tea leaves, 2 whole star anise, 1 teaspoon of sugar, 1 teaspoon of soy sauce and mix well.
- Cool eggs with cold water. Take a spoon and tap on eggs to make cracks in the shell. Do not peel or remove any of the shell.
- Add the cracked (but not peeled) eggs to the pan with mixture. Bring to gentle boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to simmer for 30 minutes. Turn eggs carefully so they will color well.
- Remove eggs and allow to cool. When they are cool enough to touch and peel.
- The eggs will have a marble-like pattern, like the picture. Cool, right? Serve them warm immediately or refrigerate and serve them cold.
Enjoy your Chinese Tea Eggs all by themselves, with rice or as part of an Asian-themed dish! You’ll love ‘em! Are you surprised at the main flavor? It’s not tea… what do you taste most?