The word “bouillabase” actually refers to how you cook the fish fast! Crazy, right? Give this iTwixie Bouillabase recipe a try and let us know what you think!
For the sauce, heat in a saute pan these ingredients:
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 2 tablespoons of butter – unsalted
- 1 cup of chopped shallots
- 1/2 cup of chopped celery
- 1/4 cup of shredded carrots
- Salt and pepper – dashes of each
- 4 peeled and chopped cloves garlic
- 1 bay leaf
- 4 sprigs of fresh thyme
- a pinch of saffron
- 2 chopped up bunches of fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon of fresh, squeezed orange
- 1 cup of chopped fresh fennel
Once everything is all “happy” in your saute pan, add 8 cups of water. When this base gets boiling, add these ingredients:
- 1 pound of shrimp
- 1/2 pound mussels
- 1/2 pound of littleneck clams
- 2 cutlets of tilapia
- 1 pound of lobster or crab
If you do not care for seafood, try adding these to the water instead:
- 1 pound of baked chicken breast
- 1/2 pound of cooked turkey
- 1/2 pound of cooked sausage
- 4 large, grilled portabello mushrooms, sliced
Cook for 8 minutes, or until the shells of the shellfish open. Discard any shellfish that do not open.
Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Serve with a crusty bread! YUM!
So, what do you think?