iTwixie New Year’s Cookie Ingredients
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 eggs
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- canola oil for frying
- 1 cup honey or icing (recipe for icing is just below this section!)
- candy sprinkles
iTwixie New Year’s Cookie Icing
- 1 cup confectioners sugar
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice peel
- 1 teaspoon milk
- 1 drop vanilla
Mix well until transparent and ready to drizzle.
iTwixie New Year’s Cookie Directions
- In a mixing bowl, combine sugar, lemon peel, vanilla and salt. Add eggs and 2 cups flour. Mix well. Turn onto a floured surface and knead in remaining flour (dough will be soft). With a floured knife or scissors, cut into 20 pieces. With hands, roll each piece into pencil shapes. Cut “pencils” into 1/2-in. pieces and lay them over each other into an “x” or “knot” shape.
- Choose one of these cookies and place a quarter into the dough so you cannot see it. Whoever gets this “lucky” cookie will have a lucky year!
- In an electric skillet or deep-fat fryer, heat oil to 350 degrees.
- Fry pieces, a few at a time, for 2 minutes per side or until golden brown. Drain on paper towels. Place in a large bowl.
- Heat honey or icing and then drizzle over cookies.
- With a slotted spoon, spoon cookies onto a serving platter. Decorate with candy sprinkles. Cool completely.
Now for the fun part — who got the lucky cookie? Have a Lucky New Year! Cheers!!
Recipe Inspiration: www.allrecipes.com