Here’s to Purim! It’s celebrated this year from February 28-March 1. Here’s how to make yummy Hamentashen cookies!
Make the filling for the cookies first:
POPPY SEED FILLING PRUNE FILLING
* 1/4 cup sugar * 1/4 cup sugar
* 1/3 cup honey * 1 teaspoon lemon juice
* Grated zest of 1/2 lemon * grated zest of 1/2 lemon
* 2/3 cup raisins * 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
* 1 teaspoon vanilla * 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
* 1/2 cup finely chopped walnuts * 1/3 cup finely chopped walnuts
Now make the cookie batter:
* 2/3 cup butter
* 1/2 cup sugar
* 1 egg
* 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
* 2 1/2-3 cups flour
* 1 teaspoon baking powder
* Dash of salt
1. Cream butter and sugar. Add egg and continue creaming until smooth.
2. Add the vanilla. Stir in the sifted flour, baking powder, and salt until a ball of dough is formed (a food processor is excellent for this).
3. Chill for 2-3 hours, or overnight.
4. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
5. Roll 1/4 of the dough on a lightly floured board to about 1/8 inch thickness. Cut circles of dough with a drinking glass or round cookie-cutter. With your finger put water around the rim of the circle. Fill with 1 teaspoon poppy-seed or fruit filling and fold into three-cornered cookies. (Press two sides together, and then fold the third side over and press the ends together.)
6. Bake on a well-greased cookie sheet 10-16 minutes, until the tops are golden.