Choose a nice round cake pan. Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F.
Ready? It’s time to make the topping first!
- 1 cup of firmly packed dark brown sugar
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 1 can (20 oz) of pineapple slices
- Maraschino cherries
Melt butter, add brown sugar and keep over the heat until sugar dissolves and the mixture is bubbly. This is the caramel! Now, stop stirring and pour into a 10 inch diameter stick-free cake pan with 2 inch high sides. Over this caramel layer, arrange pineapple slices with one cherry in the center of each pineapple slice.
- 1 3/4 cups all purpose flour
- 6 Tbsp of ground almonds (from about 2 oz of whole almonds)
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 3/4 cups of sugar
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter
- 4 large eggs
- 3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup sour cream or yogurt
Mix the flour, almonds, baking powder, and salt in a large mixing bowl. In a separate bowl, blend the sugar and butter together. Add eggs one at a time and blend well. Blend in the vanilla. Add dry ingredients in turns with sour cream/yogurt, every other turn. Blend well each turn. Pour cake batter over caramel and pineapple in pan.