Here’s What You Need:
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 5 tablespoons sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 3 tablespoons butter, cold and already in chunks
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2/3 cup raisins
Here’s What You Do:
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Use a non-stick spray or butter inside round baking pan.
- In a large bowl, mix well with a fork (or whisk) the flour, 4 tablespoons sugar, baking powder, salt, and baking soda. Using fork or pastry blender, cut in the butter until coarse meal forms. Make well in center of flour mixture. Add buttermilk. Gradually stir dry ingredients in to blend. Mix in raisins.
- Using floured hands, shape dough into ball. Transfer to prepared pan and flatten slightly (dough will not come to edges of pan). Sprinkle dough with remaining 1 tablespoon sugar. Cut a deep X on the top.
- Bake bread until brown and tester inserted into center comes out clean, about 40 minutes. Cool bread in pan 10 minutes. Transfer to rack.
- Best when eaten warm!