Here’s what you will need:
- 2 cups rolled oats (not instant)
- 1 cup peanuts or toasted almonds
- 1/4 cup sesame seeds
- 1/4 cup sunflower seeds
- 1/4 cup toasted wheat germ
- scant 1/4 cup cooking oil (not olive)
- 1/2 cup honey (local honey is best by far!)
- 1/4 cup raisins
- 1/4 cup dates
- 1/2 cup dried apples (or other dried fruit)
Here’s what you will do:
Be sure to grab an adult for the baking part… but the rest is so easy for you to do!
- Mix all the dry ingredients in a large bowl, except the fruits.
- Measure the oil in a measuring cup and then without washing the measuring cup, measure out the honey in that cup (honey will not stick because of the oil!)
- Mix the honey/oil mixture into the dry ingredients as well as you can.
- This mix needs to be toasted and mixed as it is toasting. You can use a large roasting pan or a cookie sheet with a lip or whatever you might have that will make this easy to do.
- Bake at 300 F for 30 minutes, turning and mixing every 10 minutes.
- When everything is a golden brown, (like the picture!) you are finished toasting the nuts and grains. Then you will add the fruits and mix well. Some clumping is normal (and delicious!)
You can serve this with milk or yogurt or just eat it plain! Serving size is 1/4 cup!
Nutrition Information: Granola is a great source of protein and fiber.