Here’s what you will need:
- 2 cups unbleached flour
- 3 Tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 3 teaspoons of dried orange peel (or 2 teaspoons fresh orange zest)
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1 egg
Here’s what you will do:
1) Mix all the dry ingredients, like flour, sugar and baking powder and soda.
2) Cut the butter into the dry ingredients until mix is like coarse cornmeal – with lumps!
3) Blend the egg and the buttermilk together.
4) Pour the buttermilk mix into dry ingredients and mix only till moistened – still lumpy!
5) Put the mix onto a floured surface and fold outer edges to center until mix forms a ball – just barely!
6) Pat dough into a circle that is about 1 1/2 inches thick. Cut the circle into pie shaped pieces (~ 8 pieces)
7) Put pieces onto an ungreased cookie sheet and bake at 350 degrees for 15 minutes (or until golden brown!)
You could drizzle honey or icing on top to make it extra yummy.
Happy Happy Mother’s Day to all of your amazing Moms!
Scones provide a lot of yumminess without a ton of sugar. Plus they’re a good source of protein and calcium.