You will need:
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/4 cup finely chopped mixed vegetables (frozen vegetables chopped in the blender work well)
- 2 Tablespoons finely grated cheese
- 1/4 cup butter
- 2 pinches of salt
- 1 Tablespoon ice cold water
1) Mix the flour and the salt.
2) Use a fork or your fingers and mix the butter into the flour until it looks like breadcrumbs.
3) Add the vegetables and the cheese and mix well.
4) Add the ice cold water and knead into a dough.
5) On a lightly floured board roll out the dough to about ¼” thickness.
6) Use a table knife to cut into 4″ long strips.
7) Arrange the straws on an un-greased baking tray and bake in a pre-heated oven at 400°F for 10 to 12 minutes.
Cool completely and Enjoy! (These can also be stored in a container for later.)
Source of inspiration: Healthy Snacks for Kids. These are a good source of protein, carbs, iron and folic acid.