This is actually a neat experiment you can do outside and your parents won’t mind! In fact, they will want to help you with this fun experiment;)
You will need:
- Mixing Bowl
- Baking Pan
- Several round objects of different sizes (BB, Marble, Golf Ball, etc.)
- Mix the flour and water in the bowl until it has a soft consistency. (Caution: Don’t make it runny.)
- Fill the baking pan carefully with the mixture.
- Place the pan on a hard surface (Like the ground).
- Standing above the pan, drop your round objects into the mixture from different heights.
- Carefully remove each one. Smooth the surface and try another object!
- Try dropping heavier objects from a lower position and smaller objects from a higher position. Change them around.
STEM Challenge: Write the answers to these questions in the comments below.
a) Which objects make the biggest craters?
b) Did how far the object dropped make any difference?