One important way to help protect endangered species is to raise these special animals in zoos. The best way to save a rare species is to make its native habitat safe. The Denver Zoo is doing both! They raise zebras and work to make a the zebra’s natural habitat in Kenya safer as well.
Neat Zebra Facts:
- Baby zebras have brown stripes, not black, which helps them to blend into the background.
- Stripe patterns are unique to each zebra–no two are alike.
- Zebras can live 40 years.
- The shiny striped fur of the zebra reflects over 70% of the heat from the sun.
- The zebra is a close relative of the horse, but has never been tamed.
Thank you, Denver Zoo, for these fabulous pictures! We can’t wait to see more!