Empty Bowl Carrot Soup (sent in by nerw)
You will need:
- 2 Tablespoons (30ml) butter
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 cups (750ml) peeled, coarsely shredded carrots
- 1/4 teaspoon (1ml) turmeric (if you have it)
- 4 cups (1L) vegetable broth
- 1/2 teaspoon (2 ml) Italian seasoning (or dried oregano, thyme, basil)
- 1 cup (250ml) corn kernels (fresh, frozen, or canned)
Then you will:
- Melt the butter in a large saucepan and saute the chopped onion over medium heat until softened – about 5 minutes.
- Add the shredded carrots and the turmeric, and cook, stirring, until wilted (the turmeric will give the soup a super-bright yellow color, but if you don’t have any, just leave it out).
- Add the vegetable broth and Italian seasoning, bring to a boil, and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add the corn, and cook for another 5 minutes or so.
- Taste and adjust the seasoning with salt and pepper, if you think it is necessary.
Makes 6 to 8 servings.
Nutrition: This is a great source of Vitamin A and fiber. Special thanks to nerw for starting this challenge!