Last week, the National Zoo in Washington D.C. said goodbye to it’s “baby boy” panda, Tai Shan, which was born at the zoo in 2006. It was a sad day! But it is so good for Tai Shan to go back to his home country China. Now he will be able to meet other pandas and be welcomed back home!
The USA has had Tai Shan for 4 years. They are thankful to China for keeping him for so long! Tai Shan spent some time in the USA because of a program that China has set up with interested countries to share the joy of having pandas.
Fascinating Facts about pandas:
- Pandas sometimes live as long as 30 years.
- For a long time scientists could not decide if they were related to raccoons or bears! Bears win!
- Pandas are endangered because of habitat loss and because very few are born per year.
- An adult panda weighs about 250 pounds (115 kilograms).
- Pandas eat mostly bamboo, and an adult can eat as much as 85 pounds (40 kilograms) of bamboo each day.
But we all can agree on this: Pandas are adorable! Enjoy being back home, Tai Shan!