Here is what we know:
- 33 prairie dogs have litters
- there are between 1 and 8 babies in each litter (5 is the most common)
- usually only 3/4 of mothers have babies come above ground
That information means:
- The largest number of prairie dog babies is 33 x 8 = 264.
- The smallest number of prairie dog babies is 33 x 1 = 33.
- The most likely number is 33 x 5 x 3/4 = 124.
With this information, you can make what is called an educated guess since there is really no way to know the real number of prairie dog babies. Any number between 33 and 264 is a good guess.
What do you think? Just enter your guess below in the comments section.
Remember, the girl(s) who guess closest to the real number will get a prairie dog t-shirt. Woo hoo!