Here’s what you will need:
For the Cake
- 2 cups Cake flour
- 2 teaspoons Baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 1/2 cup Butter or margarine (1 cube)
- 2 cups Granulated sugar
- 3 Lg. eggs
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Vanilla
- 3 ounces Unsweetened chocolate, melted and cooled
- 1 cup Dairy sour cream
- 1 cup Boiling water
For the Filling
- 1/2 cup Butter or margarine
- 1 12 oz package caramels, unwrapped
- 1 can Sweetened condensed milk
Here’s what you will do:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease and flour a 9 by 13 cake pan. Set aside.
- Sift together the cake flour, baking soda and salt and set aside.
- Beat the butter and sugar together in a large mixing bowl. Blend in the eggs and beat until light and fluffy. Stir in the vanilla and melted chocolate. NOTE: melt chocolate in double boiler over simmering (not boiling) water.
- Alternately add the dry ingredients and the sour cream to the butter mixture. Beat well after each addition.
- Stir in boiling water. (Batter will be thin)
- Divide cake batter in half. Pour one half into the prepared cake pan. Bake 10 – 12 minutes, or until firm to the touch, and remove from the oven.
- Meanwhile, prepare the filling. Mix butter, caramels, and condensed milk in a sauce pan and melt over low heat, stirring often.
- Remove from the stove and pour the mixture over the baked half of the cake.
- Pour the remaining cake batter over the caramel mixture and return to the oven. Bake for 15 – 20 minutes or until firm to the touch.
- When cool, serve with ice cream, whipped cream or finish it with your favorite caramel frosting.
Makes 12 servings.
So what do you think? Is there room in a healthy eating plan for cake?